HISTORICAL EVENTS FOR STADSBYGD IN TRØNDELAG
Is there something missing, wrong or that you want more information about? Get in touch via my Facebook page (link)
The historic events is put together by Johan Rein.
Stian Tørstad are working on finding sources for many of the events, like Internet-pages or newspaper articles.
Old Stone Age
Approx. 4000 BC One or more people carve petroglyphs of hunting game on a rock wall at the shore at Stykket. The drawings were probably meant to have a magical power or a ritual function.
Younger Stone Age
Approx. 3500 BC On a large rock at Gjelhaugen, some stylized carvings of deer, a hunter with weapons and some geometric figures are made.
The Bronze Age
ca. 1800-500 BC From this period it is known that at least 58 burial mounds are built along the fjord at Stadsbygda. The deceased carry valuables in the graves.
Approx. 500 BC – 1000 During the migration period approx. 400 – 600 AD larger and smaller burial mounds are built on the best agricultural areas in the village. There have probably been even more than the 78 mounds Gerhard Schøning registered in 1774.
lead ship. It will be equipped with 40-60 armed
men. They should have enough provisions for three months in case of war.
At all times, it has to be a big tree guard here. It should be lit in
case of unrest or war in the country.
before attacking Nidaros.
1185 1st Easter Day
May 1, 1198
Holar in Greenland. He was nicknamed “Gudmund the Good” and was
considered by the Inuit to be the saint for a long time after he died in 1237.
about. 1586 A large sawmill is built at Eksetfossen on Sagberget. The driving force is the
financier and sheriff of Trøndelag, Hans Ovesen Røed.
1589 01.03 Ecclesia Stadsbygdiensis is established. (Stadsbygd Lutheran congregation
is founded) 55 farmers on Stb. agrees with the new Lutheran church authority
to maintain a church building and pay a priest. In addition,
they will build and maintain certain buildings on the rectory. The local
church is being reconstructed and begins its work.
about. 1600 Johannes Mikkelsøn occupies the house at Alshaug vicarage.
1610 Farmer Kristoffer Solem and storekeeper John Grønning are
chosen to represent the parish in tribute to the prince, Duke
Christian in Oslo.
1621 Jørgen Jensen Bull becomes the new parish priest and gradually starts
large logging and sawmill activities in several places in the parish.
1624 Oluf Håssåker takes over as sheriff after Siver Trongen.
1625 The assistant scheme is established in Stadsbygda. Two good men are
commissioned to support the pastor in the chores he has in the church and in the
1635 Husa on Overekset becomes the prey of the flames.
1636 Four farmers in the village are fined for not performing the required shuttle service.
1640 Tore Håssåker becomes sheriff after his father Oluf.
1642 This year and some distance into the next, Stadsbygdske kompani is organized
after King Kristian IV in 1628 had decided that the country should have a new
1643 At the training ground for Stadsbygdske Kompani at the mouth of the Prestelva
, officers hold a strict exercise of the soldiers after the high mass on
1644 Stadsbygdske Kompani gets a new structure and organization.
1647 The King of Copenhagen introduces a new tax reform for Norway.
The farms are divided into full farms (full tax), half farms (half tax)
and desolate farms (quarter tax). At Stadsbygd there are eight full farms, 39
half farms and 15 abandoned farms.
1648 August Lars Brødreskift is elected as a representative to the Riksdag in Kristiania.
712 envoys take the oath to the new king, Fredrik 3. The monarch
is celebrated with lavish pomp and splendor, where everything is staged by
Governor Hannibal Sehested.
1653 Hans Olsen Vikan dies of leprosy. He is the first here in the village
who is referred to in written sources as a leper.
1657 A new church building next to the rectory is taken into use (at the Old
1659 The tower of the church blows down in a strong storm.
1665 The priest Bull makes a census list for the parish debt.
1666 Bersvein Tung is appointed royal sheriff in the district court.
1666 Henrik Bull takes over as parish priest after his father.
1668 In a catastrophic
fire , much of the buildings on the common yard at Håssåker disappear. The flames will probably take several lives. From now on, it will be common to install
larger windows in residential buildings.
1675 Eight farmers are fined for neglected duty.
1680 Myr becomes military command post for Stadsbygdske Kompani. It lasts for a
period of 17 years.
1681 Isak Larsen Brødreskift becomes “Royal trusted sheriff in Stadsbøygdens
1683 Futen for Fosen, Tøger Andersen, marries the widow at Myr. He is
unpopular and is called “Svartfuten”. For 14 years he had held this position.
1689 Ole Christoffersen Røeg becomes the new priest at Stadsbygd after his father-in-law.
1689 Once again the church tower falls to the ground in a terrible storm.
1694 The court sentences Anne Olsd. Grønning to death for having given birth to
her child in secret and hidden it under the barn floor when it died.
1695 20.08 This night the grain freezes in the whole region. New frost nights in September.
People say it’s the worst year of recent times.
1697 Hans Petersøn Arntz comes to the village as a new priest and soon begins
schooling in the parish.
1699 The first community school in Stadsbygda is started. The measure was initiated and
partly paid for by the priest Hans Petersøn Arentz. Ole Knutsen Skei and Erik the
schoolmaster will be the leading community teachers here.
1701 A census shows that there are 599 people living in the parish.
1705 Plant finds from Stadsbygda are mentioned in one of the first botanical
writings in Norway: “Catalogus Plantarum Norwegicarum et preprimis
1707 26.07 The 20-year-old maid Guro Hansdatter from Ekset is
sentenced to death at the village council on Håssåker for having given birth to her child with soldier
Arn Haktorsen in secret and then taking his life. A few weeks
later, she is acquitted of the murder charge by the court in Trondheim.
However, she is expelled from the priesthood and the parish.
1711 Stadsbygda gets its first karjol.
1711 Many in the village are subject to heavy extra tax due to the great
Nordic war (1700-1721).
1711 A large forest fire burns off all the forest from Brørskift to Råfossen.
1716 The priest Hans Pedersen Arentz establishes an organized school system with
four schoolmasters in the parish debt.
1718 11.09 The cairn on Vættan is in a light hat. It burns from cairns all over the
region. This is because the Swedish general Carl Gustav Arnfeldt is
gathering against Trøndelag with a huge army.
1718 Jo Schei is killed in the battle of Dynekilen. He was one of
1718 Kristen Berntsen Kråknes Brødreskift takes over as sheriff after the
father-in-law who died two years earlier.
1719 Kvidal becomes military commander in Stadsbygdske Kompani.
1720 The Magistrate’s Court sentences Jon Jonsen Kårli to death for sexual intercourse
1721 Mikael Stub is installed as the new parish priest in the village.
1722 06.01 A strong storm leads to great destruction, among other things. at church in the countryside.
The tower blows down.
1723 The local cadastral commission comes with a new assessment of the
farms in the village.
1724 The whole harvest is very ugly and cold weather. The little grain that becomes
so reasonably ripe does not come into the house until Advent.
1724 Ole Haftorsen Grønning takes over as sheriff in the village.
1725 Prost Stub plants ash and oak trees in Prestegårdshagen and in the
cemetery. Two of these are still standing.
1726 Stadsbygd church is sold at auction to Ebbe C. Hornemann.
1727 A smallpox epidemic causes a great harvest in the village.
1730 Gulstu is moved from the old site to the place where it stands today.
1734 Bishop’s visit where the bishop writes that “both boys and girls have learned
more than elsewhere in the diocese”.
1735 It is a very good year with very good grain crops.
1736 The first confirmation is carried out in Stadsbygda, the same year
as the law is implemented in the twin kingdoms Denmark / Norway.
1738 In the book that the historian Ludvig Daae publishes this year, he refers to
Bishop Hagrup. He says that the young people in Stadsbygd are the most
educated in the entire diocese.
1741 Prost Stub establishes a grant of 200 riksdaler for the operation of the
“school facility” in Stadsbygd parish.
1742 A very bad smallpox epidemic rages. In the entire parish, more than 100
children and 50 adults die from the disease.
1745 Haftor Grønning becomes the new sheriff.
1745 28.07 At a meeting at the Grønning courthouse, the community school in the parish is
organized so that all children over the age of five will receive training in the art of reading
and the catechism. A detailed school plan in 18 points is adopted and the school customs
(tax) is introduced. Four schoolmasters are appointed
in the parish with an annual salary of 20 daler. School hours shall be eight days at a
time on each farm.
1746 05.08 King Christian VI dies 46 years old. To mark the grief
, the church bells in Stadsbygda are rung so loudly that one of them falls from the
1749 The first bridge over the Prestelva at Fenstad is built on a voluntary basis.
1749 Bishop’s visit. The minutes state that the bishop is not very happy with the
teaching of the youth. He blames Sørup on watches.
1750 Ole Eskildsen Røberg is appointed to the newly created position as
1751 Hybert Hybertsen Grønning becomes the new sheriff.
1753 17.11 Most of the houses on Buan are the prey of the flames in a violent fire.
1756 A violent snowy winter. In Markabygda, the snow is up to 12 acres high and
does not disappear until at St. Hans.
1758 King Fredrik V grants permission to run an inn in Raudberget.
The hostel business here had begun in the 17th century. The farm was a
public bus station until 1923.
1759 Lorents Brønlund is installed as the new parish priest in Stadsbygd parish.
1761 29-30 / 5 Bishop Gunnerus is on a visit to the village and spends a lot of time
botanizing. For the next 12 years, he visited the rectory many
times. The great interest he had in nature and especially the flora,
is another important reason for all his visits to the village.
1761 Stadsbygdske kompani is seconded to war service.
1765 A very hard farang kills many children in the village.
1765 The military exercise site is moved to the lands north / east of the houses on
1766 It’s a terrible drought summer. June, July and August go by without a drop of
rainfall. The yields are virtually zero.
1767 Christian Hvedding becomes the new priest in the village. He and the very rich
merchant’s daughter Elisabeth Mantzin, start building a new
and much larger main building on the rectory.
1769 The large farmhouse on the rectory is taken into use. It has 24 rooms
spread over two floors and a total of approx. 500 square meters.
1769 Gården Kasset becomes the widow’s seat for the priest’s office in Stadsbygd, and Madam
Brønlund and her seven children move into the houses there.
1770 Prestbrua (Fenstad bridge) is restored and made more solid
1772 The village is divided into nine poor benefits to provide better help to the poor and
1772 Haftor Hybertsen Grønning becomes the new sheriff after his father.
1773 29.03 As the first peasant boy from Stadsbygda, Kristoffer Olsen Foss
(1729-1801) receives a trade letter and a citizen letter in Trondheim. Foss establishes itself with
business operations in Råkvåg.
1773 A dangerous bloodshed reigns among the people of the district here.
1774 The historian Gerhard Schønning visits the village and makes a description
of scientific and historical conditions. Among other things, he registers 78
burial mounds and 58 burial mounds.
1776 On the return trip from Laksevorpa in Lensvika, sailor Morten Røberg and his
sons Ole and Johan. All three drown.
1777 On a city trip, the couple Magdalena and Atle Håss-
åker drown outside Digermulen.
1777 22.05 Dordi Brynjulfsdatter Råsshålån is beheaded on Steggelneset on
Rauberget. The accusation against her is that she took the life of three of
her children right after the birth. A lot of people from the village are watching the execution.
1778 22.05 Pike Randi Olsd. Langmo and unconfirmed boy Hågen Olsen Leinsli
are sentenced to prison in Trondheim penitentiary for becoming parents to a child. In addition, they receive a fine of 15 dollars.
1781 13.05 All the houses, except the storehouse at Bersvend Tung, burn down completely this
1782 04.12 Husmann Ole Pedersen Smebakken gets the county’s license to be a blacksmith.
He is the first in the village with public authorization in this profession.
1784 15.09 All the grain all the way down to the fjord freezes away this night.
1790 A large farm fire on Kasset flattens most of the houses on the farm to the ground.
1792 Peder Brandt becomes the new parish priest.
1793 Stadsbygd parish gets two bell positions, one in Stadsbygd and one in
1797 A hurricane from the southwest does great damage to the forest in the village.
1797 The military training ground for the village is moved to the field between
Rauberget and Buan, and a tent cage is built there to store
military equipment in.
1797 Karen Børstingen b. 1732 is attacked and killed by a wolf on
Korsmyra east of Kvernsjøen. She is then on her way home from Vanvikan.
For a long time there is a cross on the site. It has given the name of the bog.
1798 The Great Nut Year. The hazel has not borne so richly for a long, long time.
The nuts ripened in September “There are more nuts than leaves on the
1798 King Kristian VII gives Peder Mortensen Røberg a renewed license to
run an inn.
1799 21.01 Lars Myrsøra and Hans Pedersen drown on the Flakkfjord in strong winds.
1800 Parish priest Hans Henrik Thaulow and his family move into the parsonage
1801 The population in the parish is 1114 including Ingdalen.
1802 The Great Rainy Year. The hay rots and the grain remains green. People have not
seen so much water in fields and meadows in many ages.
1805 23.05 Just outside Storneset, the church boat from Lensvika sails. They’re on their way
home. Eight people die in the waves, among them a baptismal service.
1805 01.07 After the high mass this Sunday, there will be a verbal battle between the priest and the
congregation whether they should introduce the Evangelical Christian hymnal or
continue to use King’s hymnal. It all ended in a lawsuit.
1806 At the initiative of Hans Nielsen Hauge, the first two boats from the
district here go Lofoten fishing. It was “Læsarlaget” and “Præstlaget”.
1806 Ner-Grønning becomes military commander for Stadsbygdske Kompani.
1807 Morten Nilsen Buan drowns on his way home from the fishing field. There is a storm and the
boat capsizes at Småvikan.
1809 The Danish priest Hans Nicolai Rønne takes over the office at Stadsbygd.
1810 Smallpox vaccinations are started for the common people.
1810 The priest Rønne establishes a local defense department in Stadsbygd. He
himself is the leader of this “home guard” for several years to come.
1811 Lars Reinssjøen and Rasmus Rein sail and drown between Agdenes and
1812 The great famine year in Stadsbygda (the great year). Folk tradition tells
that a mother from Strandamarka dies of starvation and exhaustion in
Grindbakken by Skei. Next winter and spring will also be a time of distress and fear
due to lack of food.
1812 Ingeborg Danielsd. Henningsbakken dies in childbirth after giving birth to two
living and one dead child. This incident gives the impetus for a
midwife to be employed in the village with some education in the subject.
1812 Prost Rønne summons the youth in the village to shooting
drills at Krigshaugan on Prestegårdsøra. This is a kind of precursor to the
homeland security we received in the countryside many, many years later.
1813 24.07 In pure joy over fresh flour from freshly cut grain and delicious freshly baked oat bread
, Rønne and his entire large group of children dance the “oat dance” in the
1814 11.03 Two electors are elected from the parish to the election of delegates
to the National Assembly at Eidsvoll.
1814 31.08 To get the right to vote, 38 men in the parish appear before the priest and the
authorities. With outstretched fingers, they swear unconditional obedience to the
constitution and the constitution.
1817 The collection of the “silver treasure” burns hard for many in the village. By
1 July, the stakeholders must pay a total of 2194 Riksbank dollars to the
primary fund of Norges Bank.
1818 Teacher Anders Nilsen Gylland is fired the day after it came
to a day that he had put children on one of his students.
1819 31.08 An earthquake with its center in Lurøy is one of the strongest in Norway in
historical times. The tremors are so strong that walls and fixtures at
Stadsbygd vicarage move, and masonry at Fenstad falls down.
The quake lasts for two to three minutes according to Provost Rønne.
1820 Rasmus Føll becomes sheriff in Stadsbygd.
1821 A nasty epidemic of measles kills many children in the village.
1821 Two men from Trongen drown near Munkholmen when they are
on their way to town with firewood.
1821 The brothers Kristen, Ole and Jon Fenstad drown on a journey to the city.
The boat is sailing.
1821 The wanted counterfeiter Jens Amundsen Fenstad
hides from the authorities in a hole by Hegglian all summer and autumn.
1823 Pertussis ravages between young children and many die.
1823 The village is full of people. Rønne writes: “The fjord is full of lemmings.”
1824 Rissa and Stadsbygd get a joint sheriff. A scheme that lasts until 1892.
The new office goes to Rasmus Føll.
1825 Ole Trysil retires as village guard.
1825 25.11 The falconer Jens Fenstad (1778 – 1825) is beheaded on
Nordnespynten in Bergen because he has repeatedly drawn banknotes.
1828 Johan Grøn Lund becomes the new sheriff in Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1828 end of July Bishop Peder Olivarius Bugge visits. Teacher and students get good
publicity, while he gives the sermon to the priest Rønne rather bad grade.
1830 Another Dane, Lars Jessen, becomes parish priest in the village.
1832 23.01 The clay boat sinks on its way to Lofoten, and two people die.
They are Lars Johnsen Stamgården and Ole Leirbakken Håssåker, the third
person on board dies after a few weeks due to the hardships.
1832 Anne Margrethe Paulsen from Stavanger is appointed as the first
midwife with an education in the parish. She lives at Sundsaunet in Rissa.
1833 The first organized postal service to Fosen begins, and Stadsbygd
Poståpneri is established on Rauberget. The village receives mail once a week.
1833 Kornmagasinet is set up at Stadsbygd vicarage. It is the tent house, the
warehouse for Stadsbygdske Kompani, which will be moved from the
exercise site in Buhåggån and used as a grain warehouse .
1836 Staværingene goes from house to house to view the first steamboat
on the fjord. It was the English schooner “Georg Canning”.
1836 Nikolay Benjamin Flood is ordained a new parish priest in Stadsbygd.
1837 Stadsbygd Prestegjeldskommune is established. It consisted of
Lensvik, Ingdalen, Hasselvika, Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1837 02.06 On this day, the first municipal council election (election of
chairmen) takes place.
1837 20.10 Lightning strikes the church at 10, and the house of worship is reduced to ashes in a
couple of hours. This happens while parish priest Flood has confirmation
teaching there. Some of the inventory will be salvaged.
1838 The idea of a library in the parish is conceived. Stadsbygd Parsonage’s Commons
Library is put into operation on 1 April 1841 in the rectory.
1838 Edvard Stinesen receives 50 spd. in a scholarship from the school commission to train as
a teacher at the newly started Klæbu seminar for two years. He is the
first seminarian in the municipality and gets the bell and teacher position at Øra.
1838 5/3 The steamship “Prinds Gustaf” is inserted into the first regular coastal route,
Nordlandsruta. It had few calls. In addition to Nidaros, Rauberget was the only
stop in the Trondheimsfjord.
1838 Hans Ræder becomes the new sheriff in Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1838 26/11 On a city trip, the nobleman, the maid and the farmer and the farmer on
Vålen drown in a storm on the Flakkfjord (no. 8/9).
1839 The first permanent school at Fosen is built on Klokkerøra. It was
financed with a loan of 100 spd. from the school fund’s capital and the rest
1839 09.01 In a royal resolution, permission is granted to build a new church in
1839 06.08 A royal resolution decides that the first postal route in the district
will go from Orkdalen via Geitastranda and Ingdalen to Stadsbygda and
on to Rissa, Fevåg, Ørland, Åfjord and end up at Roan vicarage.
1839 According to current assessments, dubious literature is burned at the stake at
1840 Edvard Stinesen, the first teacher in the village with a seminary education,
is appointed at the permanent school at Øra.
1840 16.10 The municipal council decides that a library will be established in the village.
It is located to the rectory.
1841 Anton Meldal gets the position as sheriff in Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1842 31.07 The church is consecrated with 700 people inside the doors and 700
1842 The post office is moved from Rauberget to Buan.
1844 A road is built along Langfjurru.
1845 10.04 The Great Storm on the Lofoten Sea. 500 fishermen die, including Johan
Karlsen Håssåkerdal and Ole Jensen Rathaug from Stadsbygd.
1845 Jørgine Trana gets the position as midwife in the parish.
1845 Stadsbygd Avholdsforening is founded with six members. Four years later the
association has 90 members. Parish priest Flod is the first chairman. Only Røros is
previously out with such an association in the county. It was founded in 1843.
1846 30.06 Lars Amundsen Vatngård is sentenced to seven and a half years of penal servitude
for stealing food and clothes from better-off families in the village.
1846 Kornmagasinet is sold and the amount is used as a basic fund in a new
1847 31.05 Stadsbygd Prestegjelds Sparebank has its first banking day.
1847 The first houses in the village are insured against fire.
1849 02.02 Kristoffer Trang saves two lives by sailing across
the ravine on Naustbåten in a storm on the Vestfjord.
1849 A new postal route from Nidaros to Rauberget replaces the old route that
went from Orkdalen and over Ingdalen to Stadsbygda.
1849 22.06 The books in Stadsbygd Prestegjelds Almuebibliotek are divided equally between
Rissa and Stadsbygd following a decision by the municipal council.
1849 There is a lot of cold weather and very bad crops.
1850 26.11 The “Nidelven” is put into scheduled traffic on the fjord. It is the first
wheelboat powered by steam in scheduled traffic in Trøndelag Rødberget is one of the
stops. Previously, the coastal steamships “Prince Carl” and
“Nordcap” have for some years had fairly regular summer calls here.
1851 Nils Buan is the first staff member to receive school
training in farming on a course at Munkvoll Agricultural School.
1852 The priest Nathan Surland Steen and his family move into
the official residence at Alshaug.
1852 A violent nerve fever (typhus) demands many lives in the parish.
1852 Stadsbygd Prestegjeldskommune is divided. Stadsbygd parish becomes its own
presidency district with the priest Nathan Steen as the first
1853 13.01 Staværingene is invited to form an association for Det norske
Misjonsselskap. Prost Nathan Steen will be the first chairman. After a few years
, teacher Ole Graven takes over.
1853 The first regular doctor in the parish, Dr. Hirsch, establishes himself in Rissa.
1854 10.11 Stadsbygdens Sundhedskomissjon is established with district
doctor Holmsen as chairman + members from the chairmanship.
1855 Typhoid year. The bad disease is ravaging the village.
1856 Bridges are built over Hermstadelva and Skarbekken. They cost the
municipality a total of 70 specials.
1857 Nils Buan is elected new mayor.
1857 15.10 The road between Ersland and Kårli has been completed.
1859 01.03 Stadsbygdens Brandforening is founded. “Insurance against fire in
members’ houses” (Fosen Gjensidige Branntrygdelag).
1859 23.04 Stadsbygda gets its own conciliation commission with Nils O. Pukstad and
Nils Buan as members.
1859 06.04 The municipality buys the church from Sigismund Chr. Selmer for 2000 daler.
1860 The number of homesteaders in the village reaches its peak. The census shows that there are a total of
103 homesteaders with families in Stadsbygda.
1861 The school commission decides that the teaching will take place in six permanent rowing rooms in addition to the permanent school on Øra. The time of the social school is over.
1862 Henrik Horneman joins as sheriff in Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1862 Stadsbygdens and Rissen shooting team is founded. The team was disbanded in 1869.
1863 21.01 The municipal council discusses the establishment of a parish company. It is decided
to collaborate with Rissa to establish this association.
1863 Stadsbygdens og Ritsens Sogneselskap has a large animal show (fesjå)
on Stadsbygda with about 100 cattle. There are 54 members in the association.
1863 The first rural trade in Stadsbygda takes place over a counter
863 Jakob Holtermann at Ner-Grønning takes over as mayor of the village.
1863 A new bridge is built over Prestelva by Fenstad.
1863 The fire association decides to hire a sweeper.
1864 The first plot of land in Stadsbygda is drained with brick pipes. It
happens at Prestegården.
1864 04.10 The municipal council decides for the first time to take over the debt for a home that
has been taken under forced auction. The debt is 200 dollars.
1865 01.01 Stadsbygd municipality is given independent responsibility for the care service and the
1865 Jacob Lindgaard is appointed as the new sheriff in Rissa and Stadsbygd.
1865 Johannes Børsting is elected mayor.
1866 Nils Buan becomes treasurer for all four “boxes” the municipality has.
The school fund, the poor fund, the municipal fund and the church fund. Salary:
10 dollars annually.
1866 Rørvik school district becomes a “double district” with 18 weeks of school annually.
The children from Tørstad get Rørvik as a school place.
1866 This year, about 3,000 barrels are made in Markabygda and sold in the
town at a price between 16 and 32 shillings per piece.
1866 08.12 The municipality adopts its first health regulations. It was so radical that the
bailiff demanded that it be moderated so that the common people would not be
imposed too great a burden.
1867 Øren permanent school has an increased teaching time from 24 to 30 weeks a year so that
there are three classes that come to the school at different times, a three-part
1867 Morten Meyer becomes the new parish priest in Stadsbygd parish.
1867 The road Kasset- Tung- Prestbakken is repaired.
1867 Ingeborg Anna Rein and her half-brother Karl Johan drown on a journey to the city because the boat capsizes in a gust of wind.
1867 Bad grain year. The oats are not suitable for food flour.
1868 Jens Åge Fenstad establishes a shop on Brubakken.
1868 24.03 The municipality allocates 20 daler to cover expenses for the race
at Stavanger on 4 August. Private contributions are also considered. Ole
O. Reinkind is chosen to participate in the regatta with his boat,
1868 Many from Stadsbygda emigrate to America.
1869 21.04 The municipal council appoints a committee to consider whether Ingdalen
should be separated and become a new municipality together with Lensvika.
1869 Black year with rain and northwest wind every day from April to November.
At the end of August, the snow lies all the way down to the sea. The grain freezes and
in most places the grain tower is out until over Christmas.
1869 14.06 Hans Petersen Brødreskiftløkken is hired as a new village guard.
1869 Jakob Myhr takes over as mayor.
1870 Stadsbygd songlag is founded with teacher Hans Peter Asphaug as conductor.
1870 29.04 The heavy boat sinks on the Vestfjord and three people die while
racing on the way home. They are Johan Trang, Steffen Ottaraunet and Johan
Tung. Only Hybert Grønning saves his life when Martin Gløtten in
the comrade boat “Persjarnet” sails over the overturned boat.
1870 14.08 Bishop Grimelund has a visit in the village where he, among other things. notes that the
church attendance is very good.
1870 The total length of the roads in the village is measured at about 30 km.
1870 The school on Øra gets desks. They will replace the old tables that the students
1870 10.12 The large clay landslide at Kvidal. Nearly 80 acres slide into the river during
this day and in some minor landslides the following year. Husmannsplassen
Kvidalsrønningan ends up in clay soup. The ridge is 5-6 meters high.
1871 28.01 The municipal council decides to build a new road to Brørskift.
1871 Peder Røberg takes over the position of mayor.
1872 29.04 Anne Kasset applies to the municipality to fence off her parents’ graves
beyond the statutory period. After rejection and postponement, she
is granted it in the meeting on 19 May the following year.
1872 Markabygda gets its permanent school at Håmmårn.
1872 The Great Lemming Year. The lime abounds all the way down to the fjord.
1873 07.01 The municipal council decides to lay a new 24-inch slate roof on the church. The
old brick is sold at auction.
1873 A severe scarlet fever rages in the village. It kills several children, including three siblings on Tungtrøen.
1873 The last tenancy farm in the village was bought and passed into peasant ownership.
1873 The county veterinarian in Fosen, SA Trogstad, offers office days in Stadsbygd
for four dollars in payment for each day he is here.
1873 It is a proper crown year of hay, grain and potatoes.
1874 The steamboats in scheduled traffic take passengers and goods from the
expedition boat on Rauberget almost daily .
1874 09.11 Marie Brødreskift is employed as a librarian with two dales in annual salary.
1874 Work is done on the road Ersland- Bliksås- Nybrua. It turns out to be a
road project with many complications.
1875 23.01 The county presidency will have a reaction on whether the school teachers’ salaries should
be increased to 2 daler per. week, or if it should still be 8 ort. With
5 against 4 votes, the municipal council recommends that the teacher’s salary should be
2 daler (10 ort).
1875 Professor Axel Blytt botanizes in the village. Among other things, he finds sikori her.
This plant thus gets a new northern border in Norway.
1875 A unanimous recommendation from the municipal council to have the mail sent
from Trondheim to Stadsbygda twice a week.
1875 A census shows that 1901 people live in the municipality.
1875 25.11 Hans Olsen Reinsmark receives 15 specials from the municipality because he
has caught and killed six lynxes last winter. He has used his very
1875 25.11 Schoolmaster Ole Graven receives five dollars in annual pension for long and faithful
service as a teacher.
1876 Madam Martha Jensen is employed as a midwife.
1877 “The big year for the spelling” on Lofoten. There are 43 boats and 215 men
from the parish. Average castle of NOK 640 per. man;
the record is 1700 kroner.
1877 Nils N. Pukstad becomes the new mayor of the village.
1877 Fredrik Stillesen is hired as the first district doctor in Indre Fosen.
1877 autumn The county school has its first semester at Stadsbygda. The teaching
takes place in the main room at Raudberget. The school also has another
1878 A separate school district is established for Håssåkergrenda. It is placed under
Råbygda’s school district.
1878 06.11 Johan Egseth proposes in the municipal council “release of the various
farms’ allocated places in the Church”. The case is being considered thoroughly.
At a later meeting, a compromise is made by inserting four
benches for the common people in the church’s transept.
1879 The year when a record number from Stadsbygd parish are fishing in Lofoten. A total of
336 men are divided into 66 net boats and two cheat boats.
1879 Christian Nikolaysen is installed as the new parish priest in Stadsbygd.
1879 On the initiative of county school board member August Wilhelm Uchermann, the
first women’s association is founded in Stadsbygda. It is called the vicarage association
“Haabet” and will work for the Missionary Society.
1879 A church choir is formed with Nils Rønning as conductor.
1880 Stadsbygda becomes a separate midwife district and gets its own midwife from 1882.
1880 09.04 Resolution that all school and poverty tax is settled on wealth and income.
1880 14.08 Application from PJ Askim for a reduction in the tax because he takes care of his two
leper sons. The municipal council rejects the application unanimously.
1881 Røberg lighthouse is established. A lighthouse that had previously stood at
Glåpart lighthouse in Lofoten, is set up in the attic of the post office (Raustu).
1882 Stadsbygdens Totalavholdsforening is founded. At most, the team has
244 written members.
1882 Anna Børsting gets the position as midwife. She has an annual salary of NOK 80.
1882 Payment for the use of church bells at funerals is abolished.
1883 Two fishermen from Helsetsveve drown in a shipwreck on the Vestfjord.
1883 The shooting team “Tordenskiold” is founded with August Falbakk as the
1883 The Association for the Norwegian Mission Society in Øvre Stadsbygd is founded
with teacher Lyngen as chairman.
1883 It is decided that the municipal treasurer shall have fixed office days.
1883 Øvre Stadsbygd Avholdsforening is founded with teacher Lyngen as leader.
1884 Never before have so many stakeholders emigrated to America as this year.
1884 The Bygdeting gets a permanent location in Tingstu on Nermyr.
1884 Former Provost Steen has bequeathed his old congregation NOK
1,000 as a fund for poor school children. This is received with
joy and great thanks.
1884 A new and modern mill is put into operation in Råfossen. Owner is
Karl Jakobsen Schei at Oppigarda.
1884 The municipal council gets 16 members, the same as Rissa.
1885 Johan Vårumshaug, his son Johan, Isak Langfjurru and his son Johan
sink in a storm on their way to Halten with the boat “Pærsjarnet”.
1885 Stadsbygdens Skytterlag is founded with August Falbak as chairman.
1885 Midwife BM Vårum is appointed to the position for 1 year and 3 months.
1885 The rich flora of Leinslia is discovered by curator Vilhelm
Storm. He writes about the heat-loving plants in the hillside in botanical literature.
1885 Hermstad Songlag is founded. It has 16 members. The conductor is Anders Overegset.
The choir was closed in 1893.
1885 There is a regatta on the Trondheim Fjord. Isak Vemundstad with the boat
“Tordenskjold” wins 1st prize in the race.
1885 29.03 Stadsbygd Indremisjonsforening is founded at the home of Peter Pukstad.
The board consists of nine men with teacher Pukstad as chairman.
1885 Another large and new mill is put into operation in Råfossen. It belongs to Olbert
Olsen Schei in Utigarda.
1886 Johan Iversen establishes a country store in his new living room at Fenstad.
1887 Johan Carl Frost takes over as parish priest in Stadsbygd.
1887 02.03 Peder Johannessen Hopland (Kvidalsmyr) is employed as a village guard.
1887 Stadsbygd Sogneselskap is founded with 31 members. County agronomist Aasenhus
gives lectures on cattle care and butter associations.
1887 The parish company buys two beef calves for the breeding work, one with pure
Telemark blood and one from the Ayrshire breed. They were called “Kjelland” and “Finne”.
1887 After this rainy summer, hesitation becomes common, and people stop
letting the hay dry on the embankment.
1887 The custom of a Christmas tree is used for the first time in Stadsbygda. It
happens in the main room in Prestegården.
1887 During this year, 200 hl are sold from the village. oats, 100 cattle, 40 horses,
5000 kg of butter and 200 hides as exports to England.
1888 Nils Nilsen Pukstad (1846-1890) is elected to the Storting for the Conservative Party.
1888 18.09 Stadsbygd Sogneselskap arranges a big party with Isak Kvidal. The
participating 11 bulls and 134 cows.
1889 The first separator is used in Stadsbygda. Owner is Isak
1889 The county council decides to propose a division of the savings bank so that Rissa
and Stadsbygda each get their own bank. A signature
campaign led by Nils Pukstad, collects 173 signatures in Stadsbygda.
1889 Antiquities at Brørskift. A fairly well-preserved double-edged sword is found
in connection with trench work.
1890 Lars Foss takes over as mayor of the municipality.
1890 March Trollfjordslaget in Lofoten. There are probably several spells in the
1891 23.08 Franzisco Cetti’s balloon ride over Stadsbygda ends with a shipwreck outside
1891 Stadsbygd becomes its own sheriff’s district. Nils Falbakk becomes sheriff.
1892 Benjamin Schei becomes the new mayor of the village.
1892 04.04 Stadsbygd Sparebank is established with office space at Skei after
Prestegjeldsbanken is divided into two (Rissa Sparebank and Stadsbygd
1892 The church is completely restored after three years of work and gets i.a. interior
1892 A road is built from Valså to Fagerlia over Holtan.
1892 Oluf Paulsen establishes a blacksmith’s workshop at Buan.
1893 Construction of the pier to the harbor at Rauberget begins.
1893 The road between Reitan and Tranghaugen has a far better standard than
1893 Karl Karlsen Hansvollen collects sails and drowns on the Flakkfjord in late autumn
1893 07.07 Ytre Åsbygden’s women’s association of NMS is founded by Malena and Hågen
1894 The road from Utigarda Askjem to the school is built.
1894 The Central School at Askjem is taken into use. Four village schools are closed.
It costs 6000 kroner and is one of the largest in the countryside in
1895 04.01 Stadsbygd and Rissens Telefonsamlag are founded at a meeting at Buan. In
the course of the year there will be built a line between Stream and Buan.
1895 25.03 The new school at Askjem is officially inaugurated with great festivity.
1895 17.05 The first big May 17 party at Stadsbygda is held in the courtyard at
Buan. 22 members from Stadsbygd Mannskor participate with singing.
1895 Teacher Peter Selbekk plants a strawberry field on Klokkerøra. It is the
first field Nordafjells calculated for sales production.
1895 The road between Brubakken and Rauberget is built.
1895 The harbor at Rauberget is completed after three years of work. Cost SEK 300,000.
1895 in December Stadsbygd free-spirited youth group is founded with 40 members. Benjamin Schei
is elected first chairman.
1895 15.12 As the first veterinarian, Nils Kvam gets the position as a veterinarian in the clergy, after from 1874 there have been sporadic visits by veterinarians.
1896 Some farmers form a purchasing group. It is established at Øvermyr.
1896 The road from Dalsvingen to Rein is built. (Nyvegen)
1897 in April Stadsbygdens Meieribolag is founded. The newly built dairy starts
receiving milk on 13 December of the same year and has 105
suppliers from the beginning .
1897 07.11 The young people’s moderate association (Stadsbygd Høireforening) is founded At the
meeting with Daniel Askim, 18 men are present. One of the goals is: “An association
whose purpose is to work for development in our political life in general and
for the interests of the agricultural community in particular.”
1898 Stadsbygd Hornmusikklag, the forerunner of the Music Corps, is founded with
Johan P. Størseth as chairman.
1898 The schoolhouse at Vemundstad is taken into use. Previously, the house was a schoolroom
1898 Stadsbygd Prestegjeld’s teachers’ association is founded.
1898 02.12 Stadsbygdens Aktiehandelssamlag (Handelssamlag) has its first
1898 Stadsbygd Teglverk is established and starts production of drainage pipes
and bricks in August the following year. During the season, 20 men work there.
1898 The dairy hall is used as the central meeting room for the village.
1898 24.02 Stadsbygd Hesteavlslag is founded with Johan J. Ersland as chairman.
1899 in May The Chinese Missionary Association is founded in Stadsbygd. Johan Lyngen is chairman.
1899 The church is heated. Two large wood stoves are installed. Pastor Frost
says he will no longer stand and freeze in front of the altar in the church.
1901 Stadsbygd Eggsamlag founded with Per Tung as chairman.
1901 For the first time, the cemetery is mapped, and new graves are established according to
an agreed plan.
1901 The Norwegian-born American military musician Emil A. Fenstad
composes the famous march “Stein Song”.
1902 18.03 The first of Indremisjonen’s women’s associations in the village is founded.
1902 Telephone line is built from Brubakken to Vikan.
1902 Isak Vemundstad with the boat “St. Olaf ”is the first fisherman with a
boat engine on the Lofoten Sea.
1902 A lighthouse on a stand is set up on the pier head at Røberg harbor.
1903 The Inner Seamen’s Mission forms an association. Anders Halten is
1904 Lars Andreas Meek is appointed as the new priest in the village.
1904 The young people from Lensvika end up coming to Stadsbygda
for confirmation teaching.
1905 Røberg quay is built, and the use of
expedition boats is thus stopped.
1905 25.02 The church inaugurates its first organ. It is financed to a large extent by
means of bazaars and contributions from the youth team.
1905 The first high press arrives in the village. Eggs: Per Tung.
1905 Anne Brødreskift Nome travels as the first missionary from
1905 06.08 Large public meeting at Askjem school. The theme is: “Should be detached from
1905 13.08 Referendum on the Union Question. 1021 voted in favor of dissolution,
a new vote. 82.2% attendance.
1905 05.11 Another public meeting at the school. The discussion is fierce whether the country should
be a republic (spokesmen: Benj. Schei, Peter Selbekk) or monarchy
spokesmen: Lars Meek and Elias Grønning).
1905 12.11 Election of whether the country should have a monarchy or a republic. The vote on
state form results in 561 votes for the kingdom with Prince
Carl of Denmark as king, and 256 want a republic. There is an
attendance percentage of 65.8.
1906 Cross-country skiing is arranged at Langmo, probably the first at Stadsbygda.
1906 Stadsbygd Skoglag is founded.
1906 Ingebrigt Johansen Ersland builds a bakery and establishes an outlet on
Åsphaugen. It has been in operation for 6 years.
1906 Johan A. Lein opens a tailoring workshop.
1906 28.12 Stadsbygd Bedehus is inaugurated and taken into use (4th of Christmas).
1907 The village’s first row seed drill and potato harvester are used by
1908 17.05 The first May 17 party is arranged at Stadsbygd prayer house.
1908 Hermstad Bedehus is inaugurated and taken into use.
1909 Paul Pettersen establishes a bakery and shop on Holtan.
1909 Øvre Stadsbygd Kinamisjonsforening stifta (Misjonssambandet).
1910 A census shows that 1926 inhabitants live here. Then Ingdalen is
1910 The Santal Mission establishes an association with Ola Bjørgan as chairman.
1910 Heavy mill is established at Holtan.
1911 Øvre Stadsbygdens Skytterlag is founded. It existed until 1917.
1911 Indre Stadsbygd Kaiselskap is founded, and a quay is built in Rørvika the
1912 Raw sailboats from Stadsbygda end on Lofoten fishing. Two
five-year-olds from here end a tradition that is over 100 years old.
1912 11.02 Idrettslaget Kollbøtta, the forerunner of Stadsbygd Idrettslag, is founded with
Knut Hårsaker as chairman. A week later there is a jumping race at Skeistrøen
with good participation and 400 spectators.
1912 Aksel Foss bakery comes into operation with its own business building in
1912 The company Johan Melandsjø, Tr.heim builds a large import warehouse for
petroleum at Rauberget.
1912 The first self-binder in the village is used on Øvermyr by Kristoffer
1912 The first bankruptcy at Stadsbygd Teglverk is a reality.
1912 08.04 The Norwegian Seamen’s Mission establishes an association in Stadsbygda.
1913 Benjamin Schei (1858-1942) is elected to the Storting for Venstre.
He has been a member of the Storting for 15 years.
1913 Tung mill is moved to Tung and gets crude oil engine as the driving force.
1913 Stadsbygd Christian music group is founded.
1913 17.08 Stadsbygd sanitetsforening is founded. Proponents were i.a. District
Physician Walmar and Roberta Horneman. Karen Sand is elected first chairman.
1913 Benjamin Schei becomes sheriff in the village.
1913 Stadsbygd shooting team and the shooting team “Staværingen” merge.
1914 Jakob Sann takes over the mayor’s club.
1914 Petra Nordtug from Mosvik gets the position as midwife at Stadsbygda.
1915 The youth house “Solvang” is built and taken into use just before Christmas the following year.
1915 A barrel factory is established on Rauberget. Gustav Kraakmo is the leader.
It was in operation for only four years.
1915 The artist Petter Jensen Brødreskift builds his first boat engine.
1915 The Social Democrats (Labor Party) form an association in Stadsbygda with
Ole Blomli as the first chairman.
1915 A pot from the Stone Age is found at Geilhaugen on Rein
1917 Jon J. Kvidal takes over as mayor of the village.
1917 Christen L. Dahler begins his work as a parish priest in Stadsbygd
1917 Stadsbygd Gamleheimsforening is founded.
1917 Butter production at Stadsbygd dairy is closed down.
1917 Stadsbygd Folkeakademi is founded with Ola Sand as first chairman.
1918 The Spanish flu ravages the village, and in the course of two years it kills many
children and adults.
1918 The position as village watchman ceases. Petter Kvidalsmyr will be the last
on the payroll.
1919 The fog bell on Steglneset on Rauberget is built and put into use.
1919 06.10 In the referendum on alcohol bans in Norway, the result in
Stadsbygda is 618 for and 52 against bans.
1919 Sanitetsforeninga hires its first nurse, Charlotte Christensen.
1920 25.03 The 20-year-old Sigvard Julius Lein sinks while fishing in the Tarva Sea.
Markus Holten and Olaus Aune are rescued by Jens Hafella.
1920 Jakob Sann enters his second term as mayor.
1920 Stadsbygd target and memory team is founded with teacher Per Hoel as chairman.
The team is later named Mållaget Staværingen.
1921 Stadsbygd Trafikkselskap A / S is founded and the first boat
“Staværingen” is bought and put on a route between the village and the city.
1921 Stadsbygd Bondelag is founded and they make a list in the municipal election the
1921 Gustav Kraakmo establishes assorted country store on Holtan.
1922 22.01 Stadsbygd gets its first parish council with Chr. Dahler as chairman.
1923 21.02 The scheduled boat “Staværingen” is taken over by M / K “Tifjord” and sinks
outside Digermulen by Trolla. Everyone on board is saved.
1922 in the spring The Sunday school in the village is started. Andreas Leinslie is a
leader and teacher.
1922 The twin oaks in Prestegårdshagen are preserved in the Royal Council of State.
1922 Indre Stadsbygd Kvegavlslag is founded and has 32 members and about 100 cows.
1922 Andreas Leinslie becomes sheriff in the village.
1922 Gudrun Dahler is elected as the first woman to join the municipal council. She
represents the Liberal Party.
1922 Stadsbygd Finnemisjonsforening founded (Samemisjonen) with Ola
Bjørgan as first chairman.
1922 06.12 The municipal council adopts no. a ban on car traffic in the county.
1923 Stadsbygd Trafikkselskap buys the 90 gross
ton Arctic ship “Haugesund” and renames it “Staværingen”. It was built in 1918.
The boat will be used in scheduled traffic across the fjord on 17 May and will run until 1961.
1923 12.07 At the initiative of the priest Dahler, there is a big celebration of St. Olav’s Day in the
yard at Prestegården. 1200 are present. Extra boats have been set up from
Lensvika, Ingdalen, Hasselvika, Langseter and Kvithyll. There is a great
atmosphere, good weather, several lectures and a lot of good singing.
1923 The first air visit to Stadsbygda. A small seaplane, an advertising plane for a
tobacco factory, is seeking refuge at Rauberget. The next day, the plane crashes
at Vikna, and both pilots die. It makes a strong impression.
1923 14.08 Compulsory auction at Stadsbygd Teglverk.
1923 Sigrun Buan begins as a midwife in Stadsbygd.
1924 The village gets its first tractor. The owners are Kristofer Myhr and Amund Rein.
1924 The national language wins over the national language in a referendum in Vemundstad
1924 The telephone exchange for the village is moved from Brubakken to Tungtrøen, and
Augusta Kvidal gets the position of manager.
1925 The sports team Fjell-Liv is founded.
1925 Yngres santalforening is founded.
1925 16.05 Johan Buan buys a car, the first in Stadsbygda.
1926 Johannes Børsting takes over the position of mayor in the municipality.
1927 The ski team “Kollbøtta” becomes Stadsbygd Idrettslag.
1927 In a violent fire on Vålen, almost all houses on gnr.8 / 1 become the
prey of the flames . All pets burn inside. The family escapes at the last minute.
1928 Electric light is installed in two places in the village (at Johan
Ersland and Gustav Kraakmo). The power comes from motorized
1928 Petter Jensen’s self-made car has its maiden voyage, and it gets
registration number U-36.
1928 Anders Langmo builds the first electric power plant at Stadsbygda
in Bjørndalen in Langmomarka.
1928 Benjamin Schei is awarded the Civil Death Medal in silver.
1929 Jakob Sann is re-elected mayor of Stadsbygda.
1929 11.03 Stadsbygd Vanførelag is founded with Gudrun Dahler as leader.
1929 At the initiative of Stadsbygd Ungdomslag, the big boat “The Last Viking” is built. The financing took place with gifts from the author Johan
Bojer, Rissa Ungdomslag and Stadsbygd Ungdomslag.
1929 The first school child survey in the village. Sanitation is behind it.
1929 Otterstad receives a license for a car route Rauberget – Råkvåg. It has four
1930 The largest ski jump at Fosen, Hunddalen, is taken into use.
1930 The boat “The Last Viking” participates in the Trøndelag exhibition.
1931 The sports team establishes its own athletics department.
1931 Stadsbygd Misjonskor is founded with Kristian Ersland as conductor.
1931 Stadsbyd Rescue Team is founded with Elida Juul Bjørgan as leader.
1932 Johannes Børsting enters a new and long period as mayor.
1932 23.12 Three boys from Hermstad aged 11, 12 and 13 drown while playing on the
ice on Lauja.
1933 in January The woodworking school (carpentry course) begins with Olav Nyheim as teacher.
1933 23.07 A large athletics
trophy competition is arranged at Buan with 70 participants, and there is a tremendous interest with about 1000 spectators present.
1933 Stadsbygd Husmorlag is founded with Beret Anna Sand as leader.
1933 The sports team establishes its own gymnastics department.
1934 Åsvang town hall at Vemundstad is built and taken into use.
1935 The sports team begins to build up the sports field at Midtaunet.
1935 in May Stadsbygd peasant women’s association is founded with Sigrun Buan as leader.
1935 The road from Langmo past Tørstadbrønnen to Tørstad is used.
1936 Toralv Røberg becomes national secretary of the Patriotic National Team,
the great inter-political organization of the interwar period for bourgeois unity against
Marxists and revolutionaries.
1935 23.06 Memorial monument to Captain Kristoffer Trang unveiled in the cemetery.
1937 01.01 Fosenhalvøya Billag takes over the operation of the bus route Rauberget-Råkvåg.
1937 03.02 Constituent meeting of Stadsbygd Elektrisitetslag. The chairman will be Gustav
1937 Stadsbygd sports team establishes its own football department.
1937 Olav Frid takes over the office as parish priest in Stadsbygd parish.
1938 13.07 Paul Tung establishes a bicycle shop and workshop.
1938 The eastern pier in Røberg harbor is built.
1938 The first school dental treatment is held in Solvang. It is a
service that includes only 1st and 2nd grade and ends during the war.
1939 The Blue Cross establishes an association with tailor Johan Lein as chairman.
1939 Stadsbygd husdyrtrygdelag is founded.
1939 Sann’s Gartneri is established with the first larger greenhouse in the village.
1940 09.04 The war has come here. Several German naval vessels enter the fjord.
1940 10.04 Fierce battles and skirmishes between the German battlecruiser
“Admiral Giese” and a small vessel against French torpedo boats
1940 12.04 The 24-year-old Johan Arnt Leinslie is shot and killed in the clashes with the
Germans at Sjøvegan in Troms.
1940 16.04 During the fierce acts of war on Bjørnefjell near Narvik, the 23-year-
old Petter Hårsaker loses his life in battle against the occupying forces.
1940 13.06 An English warplane is shot down in battle over Hermstadheia. Soldiers
Lennard Gallagher and Wallace Gowford die a sudden death in a foreign
1940 01.10 The first subscribers are connected to Elektrisitetslaget’s line network.
1940 23.10 Sailor in the merchant navy, Karl Oskar Hårsaker, loses his life when the boat
“Princess Ragnhild” is bombed by the Germans.
1941 For the first time, grass was laid for silage in Stadsbygda.
1942 18.03 Three wolves are observed by many in the area Åsbygda-Haltvegen.
1942 The church receives electric lighting in connection with the 100th anniversary.
1943 30.12 Both the farmhouse and the barn at Nermyr become the prey of the flames after
1944 The youth association of sanitation is founded. Its purpose is i.a. to
establish a public bath in the village.
1944 11.11 Prestegårdslåna becomes a residence for 33 evacuated pensioners from
Lebesby hospital and old people’s home.
1945 08.02 Stadsbygd Travlag is founded.
1945 Johannes Buhaug becomes sheriff.
1945 Stadsbygd Kristelig Folkeparti is founded.
1946 Johan P. Hårsaker is elected mayor.
1946 Einar Bjørndal becomes sheriff.
1946 The population in the old Stadsbygd municipality is record high, 2045 inhabitants
1946 Flell-Liv Miniature Shooting Team is founded.
1947 Jørgen Haugerø begins his business as a taxi owner.
1947 Elida Juul Bjørgan and Johan Bjørgan build a boarding house.
1947 07.07 Stadsbygd Fiskarlag is founded with John S. Bakken as the first chairman.
The team has 18 members. It was closed in 1961.
1947 Josef Høvik establishes a bicycle workshop and business for sports and
short goods at Askjem.
1947 The village gets a permanent dentist together with Rissa. All school children are offered
1947 Arne B. Schei is elected new mayor.
1947 Stadsbygd dairy is taken over by A / L Trøndermeieriet. There are now 210
milk suppliers in the village.
1947 Aksel Fikkan is installed as parish priest in Stadsbygd parish.
1948 25.11 Stadsbygd Saueavlslag is founded with 19 members and Ola Børsting
is the first chairman.
1948 The municipality creates a position as a housewife substitute.
1948 Johan Iversen takes over as sheriff.
1948 08.11 The farmhouse on Trongen gnr.6 / 1 burns to the ground.
1948 07.08 Rissa and Stadsbygd kraftlag are formed.
1948 Paul Tung takes over a new commercial building.
1948 02.12 The branch of Stadsbygd Handelssamlag in Hammer is opened.
1949 13.02 The new altarpiece painted by Paul A. Størseth is consecrated by Bishop
1949 Stadsbygd Israel Missionary Association is founded.
1949 13.06 The construction of Stadsbygd manor house and old people’s home begins.
1951 01.07 Handelssamlaget establishes a branch in Rørvika. They move into their own
building six years later.
1951 08.04 The parish magazine for Stadsbygd parish is published for the first time.
1951 The trotting horse Omen Gilmaks wins a number of races in Norway and Sweden.
The stallion from Håssåker is named “Horse of the Year” in Trøndelag.
1951 dec. The new public bath on the shelf at the old home opens for the first time.
1952 The first excavator comes into use in Stadsbygd.
1952 Work is underway to establish a shooting range at Breimyra.
1952 Hvite Bånd establishes an association in the village.
1953 13.11 Stadsbygd manor house is completed and taken into use. There is a large
turnout from the village and many invited guests with county governor
Ivar Skjånes at the helm.
1953 14.11 The party continues. Stadsbygd Aldersheim is inaugurated. It can accommodate 22
1954 Stadsbygd Regnskapskontor is established.
1954 13.06 Professor Olav Gjærevoll finds the orchid bird nest in Leinslia. It is the
first find of this plant nordafjells sia it was discovered in Snåsa
1955 The last part of the Valså – Vemundstad road system is taken into use after seven years of
work. The road was completed from Sentrum to Raudmollbakken in 1953.
1955 28.05 The ferry connection Vanvikan – Skansen opens with “M / S Fosenferja”
as the first vessel.
1955 The first combine in the village is bought by Kristoffer Rein.
1955 Olav Engdal is formally employed as a board member and Bjarne Halvei becomes the
first caretaker at Askjem school. Vemundstad school is closed, and the
students from “Den Indre Grend” are taken by bus to the new school.
1955 21.10 The new school at Askjem is inaugurated.
1956 Kristoffer Rein takes over as the new mayor of the village.
1956 The shooting range at Breimyra is approved by the voluntary shooting service.
1957 The sports team establishes its own skating group.
1957 A residential house and jetty are lost in a fire on Rauberget.
1957 As one of the first shops at Fosen, Handelssamlaget
switches to self-service.
1957 01.07 Stadsbygd receives municipal fire protection.
1957 01.07 The municipality takes over responsibility for the sweeping service and hires off. celebrate.
1957 Stadsbygd Trafikkselskap buys a bulldozer.
1957 Stadsbygd Riksmålsforening is founded with 70 written members and
Johan P. Foss is elected chairman.
1957 14.12 Stadsbygd Trafikkselskap joins the new Fosen Trafikklag.
1958 The harbor at Rauberget is dredged and the municipality builds a quay there. It
will be i.a. used for shipping products from Teglverket.
1958 Hammer school is closed. The students from Markabygda are taken by bus
to Askjem school.
1958 Large parts of Blankbygda are connected to Stadsbygd Vassverk with Kårlibrønnen as the water source.
1958 Ceramic production begins at Teglverket.
1959 in March The Vemundstad boat “Solgull” with seven men on board sinks on the
Helgeland coast. The crew escapes in the light boat.
1959 Stadsbygd prayer house is moved to new foundations and undergoes
an extensive restoration
1959 A new municipal quay in the harbor at Rauberget is taken into use.
1959 Stadsbygd Ungdomslag gets ownership of the boat “The Last
Viking” after hard negotiations with the rice farmers. Property rights
are ultimately decided at an auction.
1959 August English becomes a compulsory subject in primary school from 6th grade.
1959 Never before or since has strawberry production in Stadsbygda been
so large. A total of 180 producers supply berries for sale.
1959 The repaired and in many places new road Ersland-Hermstad, is
1959 Stadsbygd Idrettslag becomes circuit champions in football for seniors.
1959 “Staværingen” goes its last route across the fjord.
1960 Storhaugrennet between Vanvikan and Stadsbygda is arranged for the first
1960 Nine-year primary school is introduced. The pupils in 8th and 9th grade get a school
bus to the new Åsly school in Rissa. The junior high school is the first of
its kind in the county.
1961 Kristoffer Rein (1912 – 1993) is elected to the Storting for Kr.F.
He has been a parliamentary representative for 12 years.
1961 29.11 Stadsbygd Producers’ team is founded with Bjarne Reinkind as the first
1962 Arne Holten takes over the mayor’s club at Stadsbygda.
1962 Bokmål wins over Nynorsk in a referendum on goal form in school.
1962 09.09 Stadsbygd Bedehus is consecrated for church use as an interim
church while Stadsbygd church is under restoration.
1962 The first powdered milk plant in Stadsbygda is used by Kåre
1962 Stadsbygd Bridgeklubb is founded.
1963 01.02 The Ministry of Church Affairs decides that Stadsbygd becomes a permanent prosthetic seat in
1963 The last homestead in Stadsbygda becomes a seafaring farm.
1963 Stadsbygd Skolekorps is founded.
1963 The road Hermstad to Kvernsjøli is completed.
1963 Arne Krogh & Co. begins business operations at Stadsbygda.
1963 13.10 Stadsbygd church has been completely restored and gets a new organ and floodlights.
1964 01.01 Rissa, Sør-Stjørna and Stadsbygd with the exception of Ingdalen, are merged
into one large municipality.
1964 The Carrot Laundry is built in a collaboration between Produsentlaget and
1965 Construction phase two at Askjem school is taken into use with i.a. gymnasium.
1965 Stadsbygd Sogelag is founded with Kristoffer Rein as chairman.
1965 The ski jump “Blomkollen” in Bauka is used. It is the first
sports facility in the village with floodlights.
1966 Christoffer Selbekk wins 5th place in the WC big hill in Holmenkollen.
1966 2nd Easter Bjørn Wirkola sets a hill record in Hunddalen with 59 meters.
1966 Eight schoolchildren become infected with tuberculosis. Everyone in the village must have a
1967 08.03 Two people die when the farmhouse in Kårli burns to the
1967 The old liner “Staværingen” sinks just north of Florø.
1967 The municipal election gives the spellings almost a clear majority in the municipal council.
Arne Holten (V) will be mayor for four years.
1968 Stadsbygd Historielag leads the work of moving the old school at
Askjem down to Elvaøran. Here it is being converted into a boat museum.
1969 Hilmar Romsøy moves into Prestgården and becomes a new prostitute in Nord-Fosen
1970 A / S Teglverksdrift goes bankrupt and a 72-year-old local brickworks industry
has become history.
1970 in October Stadsbygd Bygdeungdomslag is founded with Nils Foss as leader.
1971 The light trail at Kleivan is taken into use.
1972 A large stone with carvings from the Neolithic is found at Geilhaugen
on Rein. The stone will be moved to the Science Museum in Trondheim.
1973 The new road from Hermstad to Denstad is completed and becomes the first
stretch of road with permanent pavement on Stadsbygda.
1974 in May All import of milk to Stadsbygd Dairy is over. From
now on, Melka will be picked up by tanker on the farms and transported directly to Trondheim.
1975 Kristoffer Rein (Kr.F) is elected county mayor for four years.
1975 Five senior apartments are ready to move in close to Stadsbygd
1976 Stadsbygd skole uses construction stage three, and becomes a 1-9 school.
1976 March The freighter “M / K Gevinst” is turned down by ice and sinks on
Beitstadfjorden. The crew comes unharmed from the accident.
1976 July-Aug. The old brick building is leveled.
1976 Stadsbygd Handelssamlag takes over a new commercial building on
Valsåjordet. Construction phase two is ready for occupancy nine years later.
1977 15.02 The company Legra begins production of shop fittings in
Stadsbygda in a new and large municipal industrial building on the brickyard site.
1977 in May The 5500 year old petroglyphs on the Piece are “discovered” by a
1977 Dagfrid and Eindride Fenstad open a garden center.
1977 in August The old Teglverksbrua is replaced by a giant pipe in hot-dip galvanized
steel. It is 6 m wide, almost 4 m high and weighs 17 tons.
1978 The telephone at Stadsbygda. automated, and the “Sentralen” on Tungtrøen
is closed down after living here since 1924.
1978 The new road from Rørvika to Vollen in Vanvikan is opened.
1978 23.11 The ferry connection Flakk-Rørvik is used for ordinary traffic
1978 The children’s team “Lurveleggen” is founded with Helen Askheim as the prime
1978 Benjamin Schei becomes bank manager in Stadsbygd Sparebank. No one has been
so young (25 years) in such a position in Norway before.
1978 Skogsløpet Måneferden between Storhavet and Stadsbygd school is arranged for the
1978 January A new fire station is completed at Valsåbekken
1978 24.11 M / F Fosen embarks on the first ferry trip between Flakk and Rørvik.
1979 13.02 Stadsbygd Sparebank takes into use its own new bank building.
1979 14.06 King Olav makes the official opening of the new ferry connection
1979 Tung Mølle is acquired by Rissa Mølle & Kornsilo.
1979 Pertrøa housing estate is built on.
1979 Asbjørn Vik takes over as parish priest in Stadsbygd.
1979 in October Stadsbygd Svineavlslag is founded with 26 members the first year, and
John Langmo is chairman.
1979 Sjøbakk establishes a car and agricultural workshop at Valsåbekken.
1980 29.04 The museum team Staværingen is founded with Jan Olav Holten as leader.
1980 Stadsbygd Trafikkselskap is dissolved and the money goes to the Museum.
1981 “The Last Viking” sails to Lofoten on winter fishing with Jon Godal as
captain together with students from Fosen Folkehøgskole.
1981 01.05 The company Tung Rør establishes itself in Stadsbygda.
1981 Indre Fosen Motorcycle Club with location in Gulrotvaskeriet is founded.
Leader is Arnt Gunnar Haugen.
1981 15.08 First day with kids in Stadsbygd kindergarten. It is located in the basement
of the old manor house.
1981 in December Stadsbygda gets to say the first village book with farm and family history.
During the 80s, three volumes will be added. The books are written by
1982 The first construction phase of the ski lodge “Granlund” is completed.
1982 The new senior center is under construction.
1982 The new road from Bradden to Buan is used.
1983 Stadsbygd Mandssangerforening is founded with 18 members and has
Oddgeir Buan as leader.
1983 Kjell Fenstad builds a new trading house and large bakery on Holtan after
he took over the old store three years earlier.
1983 29.04 The new building at the Elderly Center with 28 client places is officially taken into use.
1983 The Fosen race is arranged for the first time.
1983 26.10 Stadsbygd Pensjonistlag is founded with Arne Holten as leader.
1983 23.12 Grønningsbukta nature reserve is established by royal resolution.
1984 The first houses in the Grønningsmarka residential area are built.
1984 11.04 Stadsbygd Hagelag is founded with Alfred Brødreskift as leader.
1984 Indre Fosen Tae Kwon Do is founded. Stadsbygd skole will eventually become the
training site, and the leader is Hans Jørgen Helmersen.
1984 The village house Sagatun is built on a voluntary basis.
1985 02.03 Official opening of Stadsbygd Samfunnshus. The new house was
taken into use in the autumn of 1984.
1985 The old cemetery is restored and a memorial monument unveiled.
1985 Stadsbygd Sparebank passes NOK 100 million in total assets.
1986 Televerket erects the 64 meter high mast on Vardeheia.
1986 The athletics track at Stadsbygda is taken into use in a newly restored condition.
1987 The swimming pool is taken into use.
1987 06.02 Leinslia nature reserve is established by royal resolution.
1987 10.06 Rissa Pendlerforening is founded with Gisle Askheim as leader. Most
of the members live in Stadsbygda.
1987 Stadsbygd Båtlag is established.
1987 Anders Mikal Holen becomes the new
parish priest, and the family moves into the thoroughly restored parsonage at Alshaug the following year.
1988 Reidar Lorentzen sets the Norwegian record in javelin with a throw of 80.06 m
The record stands for nine years. He then represents Tjalve in Oslo.
1988 02.05 Stadsbygd Jeger og Fiskerforening is founded.
1989 04.04 The Crown Prince and Crown Princess Sonja and Harald visit Rauberget and the Museum by the
1989 17.06 County Governor Roald Eriksen makes the official opening of the Museum,
and the exhibition about Lofoten operations is in place.
1990 Stadsbygd Vassverk is rebuilt, and the new source is Husbotn.
1990 Stadr Kunstlag is founded with Aud G. Askim as leader.
1990 Locally produced crushed stone can be bought for the first time in the village. It happens from Jon
Belling’s facility at Brymyrhaugen.
1991 Legra Industrier A / S is acquired by Swedish ITAB Industrier AB.
1992 01.01 A violent hurricane from the southwest destroys several houses and a lot of forest.
1992 04.04 The sculptor Oddmund Raudberget’s horse sculpture is unveiled in the
city center park .
1992 Kristen Idrettskontakt, KRIK, forms a team in Stadsbygda.
1993 March Construction phase four at Stadsbygd school is taken into use with i.a. new
school kitchen and music room.
1995 Rønnaug Schei becomes double Norwegian champion for juniors in skiing (5 km
classic and 10 km freestyle).
1995 Ragnar Solem establishes the company Midwest in its own premises on Rauberget.
The construction of catamaran boats in aluminum there will end four years later.
1995 Harald and Margit Auka start work on a motor museum on
1995 The company Tuva Tøv felt maker is established with Dagfrid Fenstad as leader.
1995 Karin Buan publishes a local history novel, “Dordis veg til skafottet”.
1996 01.02 The Velta nature conservation area is protected on the initiative of landowner Jakob
1996 in April The harbor at Sandbakken marina is ready for use.
1996 18.05 Fosen’s school ship, “The Last Viking 2”, is launched at the Museum.
1996 Stadsbygd women’s football team plays in the 1st division, but the competition
is fierce, so it will only be with this one year.
1996 ?? Peter Johan Schei is elected President of the Scientific Committee of the Rio Convention
on the Protection of the Earth’s Biodiversity.
1996 A new clergy family moves into the houses at Alshaug. Sven Tysdal takes over as
parish priest and deacon.
1996 Delicious Salamon A / S with further processing of fish takes over the vacant
factory premises in the harbor at Rauberget.
1996 08.10 The children’s team Noahs Ark has its first meeting with Henny Tysdal as
1997 01.01 Stadsbygd Handelssamlag is acquired by Fosen Samvirkelag.
1997 Fosensopp A / S starts production at Grønning.
1997 01.07 Haarberg & Larsen takes over the fish processing company at Rauberget.
1998 29.01 Per Skjærvik (A) takes over as mayor of the municipality.
1998 April Stadsbygd Sparebank establishes a branch in Rissa.
1999 Espen Rian wins the Norwegian Cup in combined for younger juniors.
1999 15.08 Jan Petter Selbekk wins gold in 800 m NM for 15-year-olds.
1999 01.10 Drop-In leisure club for children and young people is started.
1999 in October Stadsbygd 4H is founded.
1999 29.12 Rønnaug Schei wins 4th place in the World Cup in sprint cross-country skiing in
2000 The museum area and amphitheater at Prestegården become Rissa municipality’s
1000th anniversary site.
2000 The municipality’s 1000-year tree is planted at the museum by county mayor Arnt Frøset.
2000 An airport is built by Håvard Ersland. The course is 250 meters long.
2001 09.06 The play “The Last Viking” is performed in the new outdoor community
at Prestelva for the first time. 5,500 spectators in one week.
2001 Stadsbygd Handelsforening is founded. 26 companies are members. Leader
is Dagfrid Enga Fenstad.
2001 Legra passes NOK 100 million in turnover.
2002 05.02 Fembøringen Kindergarten on Valsåjordet will be officially opened. The first
department was built five years earlier.
2002 18.05 Fosengris A / S’s new production facility at Belling is taken into use.
2003 13.08 Fosen Aquasenter on Rauberget will be officially opened by Minister of Fisheries
Svein Ludvigsen. The company was established three years earlier.
2003 Espen Rian wins 13th place in the World Cup in combined.
2003 Fosen’s first ball binge is built on Valsåjordet.
2003 Rønninganstu is restored after it was moved to the Museum.
2004 01.02 Espen Rian takes bronze in combined NM.
2004 Torunn Bakken takes over the operation of Fenstad environmental plants.
2004 One of the country’s largest turkey barns is established on Lein. The house has
an area of 2.1 acres and an annual production capacity of 30,000 animals.
2004 At Buan, Foss and Langmo, new, beautiful communal barns are taken into use. Many
farms sell their milk quotas
2004 Peter Johan Schei is elected chairman of Bird-Life International. It is an
environmental organization with over 10 million members in more than 100 countries.
At Kvidal, a large turkey barn is taken into use.
Stadsbygd Sparebank passes 1 billion in total assets.
Stadsbygd Stadion gets artificial turf. Collect cost approx. 5 million kr.
Rita Skjærvik becomes State Secretary to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg.
A large communal barn is taken into use at Vålen.
A “boat hotel”, a house for winter storage of leisure boats, is taken into use on Sandbakken.
2006 03.11 The municipal council decides that Stadsbygd senior center will be a residential and care center from 1
Feb 2007 Stadsbygd Sparebank establishes a branch in Leksvik.
2007 25.02 Espen Rian wins bronze medal in combined team competition at the World Cup in Sapporo.
August 17, 2008
October 16, 2008
new building with apartments.